Winter is upon us. Time to indulge in a cup of hot tea and play in the snow. But it is also time to take extra care of your natural hair. Cold weather is not exactly a Dynasty Diva’s friend. Winter cold air is harsh to all hair types and typically dries your hair out.
As such it is vital that you show it some extra love this season. Here are 9 tips to help you do exactly that.
- Use protective style
A protective style is any hairstyle that tucks your ends away. The ends of your hair are the most fragile of your hairs, second to your edges. Tucking them away protects them from cold winter air, which would otherwise damage them.
In addition to that, protective styles give us a breather from manipulation of our hair which makes it weak. This in turn promotes hair growth. When you install a protective style, remember that your hair still needs to be cared for under that protective hair.
In as much as shampooing cleanses your scalp, it does make your hair vulnerable, with this in mind, how you approach shampooing during his winter will change and have a huge effect on the health of your hair. Try not to shampoo often. Shampoo when it is necessary.
When you do shampoo invest in a moisturizing shampoo with rich essential ingredients to purify your hair while delivering intense moisture to each strand. Before shampooing, make sure you pre poo your hair. Prepooing protects your hair against the harsh effects of shampooing. You may choose to pre poo with a conditioner or oil.
- Let’s talk co-washing.
When you need to wash your hair, in between your shampooing day or you don’t want to use a shampoo, co-washing is the next best option.
Co-washing simply means that you wash your hair with conditioner only. In this situation, your conditioner replaces your shampoo in your washday routine. Co-washing helps as you get to retain a lot of moisture in your hair.
Here’s how to co-wash:
- Choose a nourishing conditioner such as ourGive Me Slip Blast Hydration Conditionerdelivers long-lasting moisture to each strand, formulated with a rich blend of nature’s finest ingredients.Wet your hair, with water.
- Squeeze out enough conditioner to cater for all your hair.
- Massage conditioner into your scalp and a use scrubbing motion, to remove dirt from your scalp then distribute throughout your hair shaft.
- Rinse out the conditioner thoroughly
- Apply a second round of conditioner, this time apply to the hair ends and work your way upwards on your hair shaft.
- Rinse out the conditioner
- Follow up with a deep conditioner
- You still need to deep condition
Each time you shampoo or co-wash your hair, follow up with deep conditioning.
Deep conditioning helps moisturize your hair. For a dynasty diva, moisture is a really important thing to her hair. Hair that is not moisturized well, ends up being brittle and weak as it is dry. This eventually leads to it being damaged and it undergoing breakage.
Furthermore, deep conditioning helps to keep your hair healthy. Here are a couple of deep conditioning tips:
- Use our Pumpkin Deep Treatment Masque to repair your dry damaged curls!
- Apply the deep conditioner on damp hair to ensure that it penetrates well.
- After applying the deep conditioner, wear a shower cap or a hair steamer on your hair and wait for 20 minutes. The heat from the natural hair steamer helps the product penetrate your hair. If you don’t have a hair steamer you can use a shower cap instead.
- Apply the deep conditioner to the ends first and work your way up the hair shaft.
- Apply the right amount of deep conditioner. Not too little not too much.
- Rinse off with cold water to close the hair cut ideas, enabling moisture to be trapped.
- LOC in that moisture
You’ve worked hard to help your hair obtain some moisture, now it’s time to lock in that moisture. The best way to do this is by LOC or LCO method. LOC/LCO stands for Leave-in Conditioner, Cream and Oil. It is an acronym that tells you what to apply to your hair and in what order, after deep conditioning or when you need to moisturize your hair.
Our Moisture, LCO and Growth Bundle is a product that you should add to your regimen. This bundle helps you lock in moisture and softness for longer. It works great for all hair types in need of serious moisture retention.
- Avoid heat styling
During this cold season, our main aim is to try to maintain as much moisture as possible in your hair. Using heat to style your hair dries it out, making it more vulnerable to the harsh effects of cold weather. Heat styling involves the use of heat styling tools such as flat irons and blows dryers to straighten out your curls.
- Try out this powerful trio
Our Dynasty Diva Trifecta bundle contains the powerful trio of Hello Growth Serum, Go & Glow Multi, and Bye-Bye Breakage Overnight Treatment that work in perfect harmony to deliver consistent, reliable results promoting healthy hair and scalp.
Each product is infused with key nutrients, vitamins, amino acids known to promote blood circulation, lengthen the growing phase, and keep hair fall, acute hair loss, at bay. They work together to help strengthen the hair from the root to the tip, making it more resilient and less prone to breakage.
Links in order of appearance