Hey there you naturalista!
You've probably heard of the term pre-poo which is simply to give your hair a treatment using an oil or conditioner to prepare it for shampooing.
Pre pooing is an important step in your washday routine as it:
- Helps retain moisture in your hair.
- Protects your hair from the harsh effects of shampooing.
- Reduces breakage as you wash your hair.
- Softens your hair.
This leaves you with healthy, clean and nicely looking hair at the end of your washday routine.
But then how do you make the most out of your pre-poo?
Read on to find out!
1. Make sure you have everything you need
Before you start your pre poo, make sure you have everything you need for the task.
Everything you need is:
- The pre poo treatment you will apply to your hair. Have a pre-poo treatment that caters for the needs of your hair to reap the most benefits. It can either be oil like our Organic Oil Blend or a conditioner such as our Give Me Slip Blast Hydration Conditioner which is nourishing and delivers long-lasting moisture to each strand, and is formulated with a rich blend of nature’s finest ingredients because you deserve the best. There is no right or wrong pre poo treatment. Finding out what best suits is going to be through trial and error and how your hair feels.
- A wide toothed comb to detangle.
- Clips to section your hair.
- Plastic shower cap/hooded dryer/hair steamer to add some heat.
Having everything firsthand makes sure you do a proper pre poo and reduces confusion associated with looking for stuff.
2. Section Your Hair
It is easier to work with sections than to work with your whole crown. Sections ensure that each hair strand gets the treatment it deserves.
If you have a TWA (teeny weeny afro) or short hair, no need for sectioning. But if you have long voluminous hair, babe you're going to have to section it. Hold down each section with butterfly clips.
3. Oil and Detangle Each Section
After sectioning, undo one section and apply your pre-poo treatment. Start with your scalp. Apply the treatment and massage it in, ensuring it spreads evenly. Then move on to your hair shaft.
When detangling, start at your hair ends and progress to the roots. Again, ensure that the treatment is evenly spread.
First, remove any knots and tangles using your fingers before going in with a wide toothed comb. This reduces unnecessary shed hair.
At the same time, shedding hair as you detangle is normal. Don't skip this step in fear of losing your hair. Again don't be too violent with your hair, be gentle, find a middle ground.
4. Add Some Heat
After you have finished applying your pre-poo treatment to all sections, time to add some heat. You may choose to use a plastic shower cap alone, with a hooded dryer, or a hair steamer. The only difference between the three is the duration each is used.
If you are pre-pooing overnight, we'd recommend using the plastic shower cap then wear a satin lined bonnet over it.
If you are just pre-pooing then shampooing immediately after, sit under a hooded dryer, or natural hair steamer for about 20 minutes and you're good to go.
This step is important as it helps your hair soak in the treatment.
You can then go ahead and wash your hair with our Cleanse and Condition Bundle. Breeze through washing your with everything you need to cleanse, deep condition, moisturize and soothe your strands right at your fingertips. Great for kinky, curly and coily hair types in need of SERIOUS moisture infusion.
Can’t seem to retain your hair’s length? Try using the Bye-Bye Breakage Miracle Overnight Treatment as your overnight pre poo treatment. Section and Apply to hair, deeply massaging into scalp and split ends. Wear bonnet, scarf, or crown to sleep. Awake refreshed and cleanse curls with Curls Dynasty Shampoo.
Have any more tips on how to make the most out of your pre poo? Do share below!