Your natural hair requires to be cared for in order for it to grow and become healthy. But how exactly do you care for it?
By adopting an effective natural hair regimen.
As we said in our article on 10 effective natural hair care tips, a hair regimen is a routine that you create to keep your hair healthy, it involves choosing products and hair care practices to promote the growth of healthy natural hair.
Why is a Natural Hair Regimen that Important?
- Promotes the growth of healthy natural hair.
- Gives you a chance to find the best products for your hair as you get to see what works and what doesn’t.
The two reasons only become a reality if you have an effective natural hair regimen. This is mostly achieved by following the necessary components of a natural hair regimen and doing them right. Read on to find out more.
Cleansing is simply removing dirt and product build up on your hair and scalp. This is where shampooing comes in. To do this particular component right, there are three particular things you need to do:
- Pick the right shampoo. This is the make or break of your washday. Choose a sulphate free shampoo like our Cocoa Mint Moisture Rich Shampoo which is a sulfate-free shampoo is uniquely formulated with rich essential ingredients to purify the hair, while delivering intense moisture to each strand.
- Choose frequency of shampooing. This can go from once a week to longer periods of time. Choose something that works for you.
- Wash your hair the right way. Click here to learn shampooing tips you need to know.
You may also choose to co-wash your hair. To co-wash is to wash your hair with conditioner only. It comes in handy when you want to wash your hair in between your shampooing days. Its beneficial in that, it is a great way to moisturize your hair.
A word of caution, though your natural hair still needs to be washed with a shampoo every once in a while, do not over rely on co-washing.
Curly hair tends to be dry due to the nature of the coils. Sebum from your scalp is not able to reach the tips of your hair.
But why is moisture so important? Moisture hair is less prone to breakages and tangles. Moisturized hair is happy hair. The best way for incorporating moisture in your regimen is by deep condition. As with cleansing to get this right you need to:
- Pick the right deep conditioner. Try our Pumpkin Deep Treatment Masque which is a restorative deep conditioner is designed to directly penetrate the hair shaft delivering all-natural vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants for stronger, healthier hair.
- For every time you wash your hair, make sure you follow up with deep conditioning.
- Deep condition the right way.
Sealing the moisture that you have worked so hard to gain in step 2 is a crucial step in your natural hair regimen. Without it, moisturizing is futile.
To seal in the moisture, use the LOC method. LOC stands for Leave in Treatment Oil and Cream which is hair cream. It is a simple acronym that tells you what to apply to your hair and in what order, after deep conditioning. You may choose to LOC or LCO depending on your hairs needs.
Having a hard time retaining moisture? Do you feel like you have to have your hands in your hair every day, manipulating it to replenish moisture? Then the LOC bundle is for you! This bundle is your ticket to freedom from “hand in hair syndrome”. Lock in moisture and softness for longer!
4. Style and Protect
This is where you get to experiment with protective hairstyles in order to create an environment suitable for the growth of your hair. Protective styles also protect your hair from breakages that result from over manipulation.
A good protective hairstyle:
- Is not too tight
- Fits the size of your hair example short protective styles for 4c hair.
And there you have it, the four steps to help you build your natural hair regimen. Have any questions? Do drop them below and we will be happy to answer them.
Extra tip: In order to get results from your regimen, be consistent.
I’m having a problem with thinning hair and I would like to know what I can do for this? Thank you