Fall is here and with it comes a breath of cool weather which might be a problem for your natural hair.
Cold air sucks moisture out of your hair. This leads to problems such as dryness, brittleness, frizz and even breakage.
The good news is that with the right changes to your hair routine, you can still keep your hair healthy this fall. Most of these changes involve retaining your hair’s moisture. Read on for the full guide!
- Let’s Talk About Washday
How you approach washday has a huge effect on how well your hair is able to retain moisture.
- Pre pooing; Invest in overnight pre pooing. This is because the pre poo treatment stays on your hair for longer giving it more time to penetrate your strands. All you have to do is apply your pre poo treatment, wear a plastic shower cap and then wear your sleeping bonnet over the shower cap.
- Clarifying shampoo; you will still need to wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo, the difference is that you will not use it as often. The shampoo that you should use more often is a shampoo that moisturizes your hair but cleanses it at the same time such as our Cocoa Mint Moisture Rich Shampoo which is uniquely formulated with rich essential ingredients to purify your hair, while delivering intense moisture to each strand. A win, win situation.
- Each time you wash your hair, make sure you deep condition afterwards. Deep conditioning helps restore moisture to your hair, making it thrive. Go for a moisturizing deep conditioner such as our best seller the Pumpkin Deep Treatment Mask. This restorative deep conditioner is designed to directly penetrate the hair shaft delivering all-natural vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants for stronger, healthier hair.
- Include co washing
To co wash simply means to wash your hair with a nourishing conditioner only. Co washing is often used as an alternative to shampooing in instances where you want to cleanse your hair but you don’t want to wash it with a shampoo. Co washing allows your hair to thrive, grow healthy and most importantly moisturizes it.
A word of caution though, don’t over rely on co washing, your hair still needs to be washed using a shampoo.
- LOC that moisture
The LOC/LCO method is the most common method used to loc moisture in the natural hair space.
LOC stands for Leave in treatment Oil and Cream (which is hair cream or butter). It is an acronym that tells you what to apply to your hair and in what order after deep conditioning or when you want to moisturize your hair.
In order to nail the LOC/LCO process there are two things to pay attention to. One is having the right products, such as our Moisture, LCO and Growth Bundle, your ticket to freedom from hair dryness, and knowing how to apply the product well.
- Steps to strengthen your hair
There are a couple of things you can do to help further strengthen and nourish your hair especially in between protective styles.
- A hot oil treatment
- Trying out different pre poo treatments. Instead of going for what you usually apply to your hair as pre poo treatment, try using something else. If you usually use coconut oil, try mixing coconut oil and olive oil. You can also try and use our organic oil blend. This carefully crafted Organic Oil Blend contains 9 of the finest nutrient-rich oils nature has to offer. In perfect harmony, they work together for maximum potency—and work for you by allowing your curls to grow stronger, faster.
- Invest in protective styles
A protective style is style that tucks your hair ends away. This is beneficial in that your hair is not exposed to the cool air that more often than not, does suck the moisture out of your hair.
But it’s not enough to just have protective style on; taking care of your hair under the protective style is just as important.
- Take steps to combat breakage
Breakage has to be a dynasty Diva’s worst nightmare, most especially if it is excessive breakage. Don’t get us wrong, your natural hair breaking is normal and you should expect it, but not excessive breakage. Here are a couple of tips to help you combat unnecessary breakage.
- Before combing your hair with a wide toothed comb, detangle it with your fingers.
- Moisturize your hair.
- Don’t skip the deep conditioning part.
- Using the Diva Trifecta Bundle, which has three products. Each product is infused with key nutrients, vitamins, amino acids known to promote blood circulation, lengthen the growing phase, and keep hair fall, acute hair loss, at bay. They work together to help strengthen the hair from the root to the tip, making it more resilient and less prone to breakage.
- Drink up sis!
There is no better way to keep your hair looking amazing than hydrating from the inside. Drinking lots of water daily ensures that.
There are some hacks to help you drink more water:
- Sip some water every hour. Might want to have a bottle close to you always.
- Drink a glass of water in the morning as you start your day.
- Make it easier for you to drink more water!
- Set water goals and keep track of your progress.
How do you take care of your natural hair during fall? Do tell us below!
You can go ahead and check out our products which are now available at select Target and Walmart stores! Click here to find a store near you.